Views

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Cheating...or Survival?

Cheating is wrong....right? Well here's the thing. When it comes to food, I feel like the lines can be blurred a bit.


I decided that I would limit myself to one alcoholic beverage per day (not EVERY day).  In my thinking, there were several days I didn't have a drink, so that means I can use them on the weekend, right? OK, so maybe not the best idea...but when I was enjoying my delicious clean brunch on Sunday (AFTER having done a workout) I felt like indulging in one of my allowed alcoholic beverages while cooking - a hard cider. Let me cut to the chase. I ended up having three throughout the day. Is that worst thing in the world? No. Could I have had a little more self control? Yeah, probably. Do I feel badly? Not really. I feel like I'm figuring this out as I go, and realizing I had that day to be by the pool and relax and have a few ciders gave me the restart I needed to face this week head on with super clean eating and minimal to no drinking.

Sushi with brown rice

Drinking aside, sometimes I am unclear myself on what to order when out. I was taken out to a sushi dinner (I was not in the city so I couldn't go to my old standard - Hü Kitchen) and tried to create my meal according to my "clean eating" guidelines. It wasn't incredibly difficult, but there were choices I had to make. No non-soy or gluten free soy sauce available, so I did end up dabbing a little soy sauce on a piece or two of a sushi roll. 

Another thing - I had brown rice on one of my rolls (that I ended up splitting). I have come to realize that in situations like this, do the best you can, and it won't screw up your game plan. I stayed away from mayo's and sugary sauces, and kept it simple. I'm sure there was a tiny bit of some sort of mayo in the spicy tuna tartare I had as an appetizer, but that's nothing I'm extremely worried about. I don't go out enough to sweat the small stuff. 

How I created the cleanest sushi dinner possible: 
-Ordered rolls wrapped with either just seaweed and no rice, or wrapped in cucumber
-Ordered without mayo or sauces
-Sashimi and avocado are a great way to get proteins and fats and feel satiated 
-Order a side salad or seaweed salad to get the greens in if there aren't many veggies in the sushi you order

Since being back in town, I've been completely on track and eating at Hü Kitchen every day, and making due with the fresh veggies, fruits, and eggs I receive in my produce basket. 

Soca #1 Wrap from Hü Kitchen with market veggies

Wild caught fish cakes, kale salad, roasted pineapple with cashew cream from 

My home cooked dippy egg with sautéed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, sea salt and balsamic vinegar, with torn basil leaf

Hopefully this will give you some ideas on how to make better choices. Heck, I know I don't always make the best choices, but when you try to stay clean, sometimes you get a little dirty.

Yours in healthy (ch)eating,

-Hungry Stuntgirl








1 comment:

  1. I toally agree Heidi! Sometimes it is hard to be good all the time when you are a working (especially stunts!) girl! Last night dinner was at 10, the day before I missed lunch- AND when you are hustling everyday, that cider is earned! Thank you for your inspiration. It also gives me good ideas on how to handle clean eating and a crazy life

    ReplyDelete