Views

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Hungry Stuntgirl

Hi. I'm Heidi. I like food. A lot. I am also a professional stuntwoman and a part time CrossFit coach. I enjoy cooking almost as much as I enjoy eating - which can be a problem in my line of work. Although I work out several different ways and quite often, what one puts in their mouth (food) is really up to 80 percent of the body battle. I would like to think I have a pretty sophisticated palate, and I am always going out and trying new foods at new restaurants (when the wallet allows). Often times, I would post food I would find or cook on my other social media outlets (twitter and instagram @stuntgirlheidi) and get messages almost daily from friends and followers to start a blog. I have only attempted one other time to create a blog, and I think I successfully posted four times...whoops.

So, to be sure that I follow through, I have decided to launch this blog with a challenge. Being that I am a very active individual, injuries are bound to happen from time to time. Recently, I have been taking SOME time off of training and taking it easy for about a month or so and not doing the high intensity workouts I'm used to. Problem was I kept eating as if I were still working out to that intensity, and put on a few extra pounds. This is not that big of a deal for most, however, I'm sure I could get a bunch of women to agree - those extra pounds seem to appear so fast, and seem to take forever to get rid of.

Here is the challenge - 30 days of clean eating. What is clean eating you ask? That may sound boring, or uninteresting perhaps; but I have decided to make it my mission to show you how interesting and delicious and creative clean eating can be with the help of my good friends at Hü Kitchen in the West Village/Union Square area of Manhattan, and certified nutritionist (MS, RD), trainer and CrossFit coach Erica Giovinazzo. After sitting down with both the owner of Hü Kitchen and Erica, I discussed my concerns and foods I wanted to avoid and foods I wanted to keep to a minimum, and we came up with a plan for my specific, personal dietary needs. I am NOT a nutritionist, and NOT a chef, rather, an enthusiast and creative home cook.

Here is my 30 day plan in regards to food:
-No grains - exceptions: Gluten-Free Steel cut oats, quinoa (technically sprout I believe)
-No Dairy - exceptions: the OCCASIONAL addition of sheep or goats milk cheese as garnish
-No refined sugars, NO exceptions and NO cane sugar
-LOTS of fresh veggies and the occasional fruit - less fruit than veggies
-Minimal meat - little to no beef (personal preference)
-Fish and other seafood
-Only farm fresh organic eggs from either Hü Kitchen or my local produce delivery farm
-Beans (black, lentil), vinegars and high quality oils (no canola oil) are allowed
-Nuts and Seeds are OK

This is just my basic outline of what foods I will be eating. Exceptions besides no refined sugar may creep in here and there as I do more research and as Erica plots my meals and portion control.

Directly from the Hü Kitchen website:


EAT CLEAN

Ensure that your food is as free as possible from foreign, toxic chemicals and genetically-modified ingredients. Be smart about what needs to be organic. Demand the organic seal or verification of organic practices on food items where you feel susceptible to ingesting an unhealthy amount of toxic chemicals. Our lettuces, thin-skinned fruits, coffee, wines, beers, poultry, and eggs are 100% organic and everything at Hu is non-GMO and always will be.


Plus...Hü Kitchen has some pretty amazing and tasty treats that fit into all of my guidelines, so I'm pretty stoked.

In addition to the food aspect, I will be posting most workouts and physical activities; however, the focus of the blog will indeed be on food and my attempts at cooking food as good as the stuff I will be eating from Hü Kitchen.

I encourage you to do a challenge with me, and post any comments to this website or to photos I will post to instagram or twitter (@stuntgirlheidi). I will be posting some pictures and meals every day on this blog, and completely welcome any input. At the end, I will post before and after pictures of the transformation of my body, but don't want to spoil anything by posting sports bra and short shorts pictures too soon...

Challenge starts NOW!

Until next time...

-Hungry Stuntgirl


2 comments:

  1. Go girl!!!! Much love and support, my friend. Xx

    ReplyDelete