Views

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Stocks, Stunts, and Sleep

"Heidi, what time do you get out of work?"
"I don't know - it depends on what time I wrap."
"What do you mean? You don't know what time you'll be done?"
"Nope."
"I don't understand..."
"I get that a lot. I'll just text you when I'm done. I'll explain it to you later."

This is a typical conversation I have with friends who aren't in "the business." Making plans can sometimes be...interesting. Having a social life outside of work, while also operating on a more strict diet than most is also challenging, but TOTALLY doable - it just takes some time to figure out what to eat out, and where to go with friends and loved ones.

I often times find myself trying to negotiate food, sleep and work when faced with a busy (busy is good...) work week. Most people I talk to are faced with the same issues, even with completely different jobs. Making good choices becomes a necessity when you can't necessarily cook or bring prepared food to work very easily; luckily, my meals at work are catered and always offer a fish protein and salad bar so I know I'll always be able to eat something. Lara bars have been awesome in keeping me energized and not hungry during those times where I can't get away from set.

During this challenge, I've had to eat some food on set and then find that I have a bunch of food left over in my fridge from the week's produce basket (when not eating at Hü Kitchen).

My solution for an abundance of veggies before they go bad? Vegetable stock! I took a huge stock pot, filled it with water, and got it rolling with all my left over veggies that I thought would do well in there - unknown greens, carrots, some squash, cabbage, carrot ends, summer onion ends, left over garlic pieces and onion, celery that started to get a little rubbery, radishes and whatever else i could fit in the pot. I seasoned it with some sea salt, whole peppercorns, bay leaf, thyme and parsley.

After about an hour or two simmering, I just strained all the solids and BAM! Super healthy nutritious and actually quite delicious veggie stock! So easy and I don't feel wasteful. I got to put the extra in some containers in the freezer and just recently gave one to a sick friend who I believe got better because of my awesome stock. Also great for cooking or a soup base. Just sayin'.

As this 30 day clean eating/Hü Kitchen challenge comes to an end, I think I'm going to continue to eat as clean as I am now (including my Hü Kitchen meals) only now I will allow myself my occasional fro-yo treat, cocktail or beer. I have to say, my sugar cravings have almost COMPLETELY disappeared and I have definitely lost some body fat and feel significantly less lethargic - and I was only "cheating" occasionally!

Hope these are helping YOU along your journey, readers...I know just blogging about my experiences has been helpful to me!

I will continue to post food, experiences being a stuntwoman and lover of food, and clean eating. The next blog I will post my before and after pictures...stay tuned!

Yours in stocks and slumber,

Hungry Stuntgirl



No comments:

Post a Comment